[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Chris Ingram

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 20 11:37:32 PDT 2019

Hi Chris,

On Mar 20, 2019, at 5:50 AM, support at bioontology.org<mailto:support at bioontology.org> wrote:

Name: Chris Ingram

Email: chris.l.ingram at accenture.com<mailto:chris.l.ingram at accenture.com>

Location: https%3A%2F%2Fbioportal.bioontology.org<http://2Fbioportal.bioontology.org>%2Fontologies%2FSTY

Feedback:

Team, I am trying to daownload the following CSV, however it is saving as a .GZ file, how do I open it for viewing? https://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/STY

The CSV files we generate are compressed using the gzip compression utility before they are made available for download via the BioPortal application. I take it from your mention of Notepad++ below that you’re using a Windows machine? If so, I suggest you Google something like “open GZ file windows”. The search results will contain multiple hits with instructions for unzipping. Which you choose to follow will likely depend on what software is available on your machine, e.g., WinZip.

Also I see .ttl files, what is the best way to view these files as well, will note++ pick these up?

You should be able to open a TTL file in any text editor on your machine, including Notepad++.

There are also software tools like the Protege ontology editor [1] that can open TTL files, and will give you nice views of the data including tree structures for viewing classes, etc.:

[cid:634EAA03-5633-417B-9129-46B335E6A5B3 at lan]

[1] https://protege.stanford.edu/