[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from kristinalivitckaia

Michael Dorf mdorf at stanford.edu
Thu Mar 28 15:54:18 PDT 2019

Hi Kristina,

Thank you for your patience. Your ontology has been fixed and is now browsable in BioPortal:

http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/OPTIMAL

It took us a while to track it down due to its somewhat obscure nature. Our processing code was generating an error with a message that offered few clues on its true origin. We’ve finally narrowed it down to the following declaration in your ontology:

    <Annotation>
        <AnnotationProperty abbreviatedIRI="rdfs:developer"/>
        <Literal datatypeIRI="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#PlainLiteral">Kristina Livitckaia</Literal>
    </Annotation>

Specifically, the particular spelling of your last name in the value resulted in a parser error on our end. I must admit that we’re perplexed as to why this is happening. There are no non-UTF-8 characters involved here, so, technically, this error should not occur. Yet, as soon as the line <Literal datatypeIRI="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#PlainLiteral">Kristina Livitckaia</Literal> is removed from the source ontology, the parsing process completes successfully. We are going to run it by our OWL API experts to see if they can shed more light on this problem.

As far as renaming the acronym for ontology, all our ontology acronyms are automatically converted to upper case letters.

Thanks again!

Michael