[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Michal Lijowski

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Wed Sep 18 14:16:46 PDT 2019

Hello Michal,

The short answer is that the server you are trying to access no longer has a valid security certificate, so this message is the first result users see. Until the certificate is renewed, often you can get around this issue by clicking on "Read more" in the notice, then clicking on the Advanced button, then clicking on the server link at the bottom to return to the original address.

Unfortunately, in this case it looks like the server is no longer serving that unique identifier, nor (most likely) the entire ontology. Since the certificate hasn't been renewed in 71 days, I infer the server may no longer be maintained.

I've sent a query to the ontology's contact on BioPortal and to the maintainer of the non-responsive site, to see if they have further information. You may also be able to find the ontology somewhere else on the web

I should note that even when unique identifiers in ontologies do not resolve, they still serve their purpose as unique identifiers, and the ontology is still well-defined. So the reference copy in BioPortal is sufficient for using the ontology as a semantic resource.

John