[bioontology-support] Access to the notes in deactivated submissions

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Fri Sep 27 09:23:01 PDT 2019

Ah, I misunderstood your request. You want to continue to be able to see the earlier submissions as first class ontologies, yes?

There is not a way to keep those submissions 'active' as a simple request. You would have two choices:
- Actually create a separate public ontology for each submission that you want to be preserved publicly
- Make a private copy of whatever submission you want to preserve (by resubmitting it as a separate ontology)

We do not encourage the first approach, because people who are looking for matching ontologies will find ALL the copies of your ontology, and will be confused about which one to choose (and annoyed at all the duplication).

Making private copies of the older submissions will avoid that problem—they can be shared with the members of BioPortal who need to see them, and you can append the version ID to the acronym of the ontology to create the new private ontology. I still wouldn't recommend creating lots of these, because people who DO have access to them will still see all those ontologies represented in the search, annotation, and recommendation tools.

Even if you do this, all the Notes will still be attached to the single public ontology, and will not be reflected in any copy.

A third option, if you strongly desire to maintain this workflow, is to use a private deployment of BioPortal (the Virtual Appliance) to store every version of your ontology separately (including the version ID in the acronym) as public ontologies. In your BioPortal deployment (which you could make public or not from your own site) the Notes would be attached to the versioned ontologies. Then you could upload to BioPortal whatever versions you want to be public in BioPortal (even by reference to your local repository).

John