[bioontology-support] Usage of Semantic Types via BioPortal REST-API

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Fri Apr 17 09:57:14 PDT 2020

Hello Andreas,

I think this question is ideally asked of the SNOMED CT organization. We are not lawyers, and our users need to resolve legal and licensing questions directly with the providers who have specified the license. (Also, we have no idea what the legal system says in your non-member territory.)

I would just note, as a lay person, that a literal reading of the cited language would mean that Google could never put up a web page (which relies on record systems, databases, *and* documents) that contain a SNOMED CT identifier. So, no public resource could ever put up a web page with such an identifier. So, there could never be any posted discussion of SNOMED CT identifiers. Which would fairly clearly violate fair use legal standards in the United States, but your situation in a non-member territory would be different.

That may or may not have any implications for your application. As a practical matter, it would inform how I would interpret this kind of narrow use of a secondary provision of the identifier. (If I had to. Which I don't, because, see first paragraph.)

Hope this helps your process. Best wishes for your thesis.

John