[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from rakesh

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 12 17:49:32 PDT 2020

Hi Rakesh,

OK - I’m sorry to say that I don’t have a satisfactory answer for you at the moment. I installed a virtual appliance instance in my local development environment and attempted to upload the SNOMED CT TTL file. I reproduced the 500 error that you reported. Unfortunately, the log files where I would usually look for errors don’t contain anything enlightening (appliance.log, unicorn.stderr.log, unicorn.stdout.log). I’ve pinged our IT person in charge of packaging the appliance to see what other log files might contain error output, and will get back to you with what I find out.

A few things to note:

1). There's a new version of the appliance out (3.0.2). Not sure if this is of interest to you in terms of possibly upgrading. I was testing with 3.0.2, so it won’t help with your immediate issue.

2). The REST API logging is turned off by default in version 2.5 of the appliance. If you want to turn it on in order to examine log output, you’ll need to uncomment stderr_path and stdout_path in /srv/ncbo/ontologies_api/current/config/unicorn.rb. Again, this may not help with your immediate issue since I have REST API logging turned on in my local instance and the log files didn’t reveal anything obvious. If you turn on logging, the files should be located in /srv/ncbo/ontologies_api/current/log.

I should be able to speak with a couple of colleagues tomorrow and hope to have other tips for you.