[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Emma Vos

frans at semantoya.nl frans at semantoya.nl
Thu Aug 13 00:15:40 PDT 2020

Hi Jennifer and Eva et al,

With great interest I’ve been following this discussion from a professional point of interest.

The UBERON classification is based on anatomical properties.

In this respect the ‘hematopoietic system’ is most likely to be classified as part of ‘bone marrow’, because this is the place where most of the stem cells  resides.

The ‘blood’ class as we know it in daily practice is distinct from bone marrow because it flows around between in all compartments like ‘vascular system’ and ‘bone marrow’ system .

‘Venous blood’ could anatomically be considered as the ‘venous part of’ the ‘vascular system’ (UBERON: distinct class); because this system in general can be divided into arterial, venous and capillary blood compartment; On the other hand the properties of biomarkers in venous blood are distinct from those in capillary and arterial  blood samples and  for this reason we report the lab results in conjunction with the type of sample. So from a propetrt point of view venous blood is a subclass of blood as a substance.

So I conclude that the inferred classification that ‘venous blood’ isa/partof  ‘blood’ isa/partof ‘hematopoietic system’ might be misleading or even incorrect.  Or did I misinterpret the basics of this discussion?

Best regards

Frans van der Horst