[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from marwa811

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 24 14:57:18 PDT 2020

Hello Marwa,

Here are some options for you to consider:

1). We have a virtual appliance distribution of the application. You could run it on your local PC and upload only those ontologies that interest you. More information here: https://ontoportal.github.io/administration/.

2). You can use the BioPortal REST API to access data from ontologies of interest to your application. That API is documented here: http://data.bioontology.org/documentation. The same type of REST API functionality is available to you if you choose to install a virtual appliance. We provide example code for working with the REST API in various programming languages in our GitHub organization: https://github.com/ncbo/ncbo_rest_sample_code.

3). You could download ontology source files for ontologies of interest and work with them programmatically using a 3rd party API, e.g., the OWL API: http://owlcs.github.io/owlapi/.