[bioontology-support] About "Anatomical Therapeutic Chemical" Classification version

Michael Dorf mdorf at stanford.edu
Wed Jan 15 11:52:14 PST 2020

Hi Kyunghyun,

Thank you for contacting support. Twice per year we do a bulk import of terminologies distributed by the UMLS [1].  (They have a twice per year release schedule, e.g., for this year it will be 2020AA and 2020AB. Their release schedule is usually May and November).  ATC is one of the vocabularies contained in the UMLS distribution.  So, the version numbers for ATC that you see in BioPortal correspond to UMLS releases, e.g., 2019AA, 2019AB, etc. Their current released version is 2019AB, which is what we have in BioPortal [2].

More info on their distributions can be found here:

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/sourcereleasedocs/index.html

The page contains an alphabetical list of all the terminologies included in the UMLS distribution. Looking at the UMLS details page for ATC [3], it appears to be updated annually. Hopefully, the May UMLS release (2020AA) will contain the up-to-date version of ATC.

Thanks,

Michael

[1] https://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/
[2] https://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/knowledge_sources/metathesaurus/release/index.html