[bioontology-support] Delay in implementing account creation or modifications of viewing/editing privileges

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Fri Jun 5 15:27:24 PDT 2020

Thomas,

I discussed a similar question with our DevOps yesterday. He suggested that there may be an internal cache whose timeout is not being retriggered when the change is made to the ontology. In this case, there may be a 30-minute (or even 120-minute) delay in the availability of resources. Though I agree, public ontologies should be visible—the issue may be in the updating of account information within the system.

Also, sometimes the ontologies page fails to display if there is an ontology within it that has an internal inconsistency in BioPortal (so that the UI code thinks the ontology should display properly, but it does not). If this inconsistency resolves, for example by reparsing the ontology, the ontologies page displays properly again. It may be there is an internal condition that means the new user is not able to see the ontology but the UI thinks it should be visible.

We can have a look to see if we can actively trigger the refresh of any related caches, but I'm not sure when we will get to this—I'll contact you out of band to discuss your needs.

We'll also see if anyone else on the list has an idea of what might be happening.

John