[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Stephen Collins

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Thu Jun 11 18:34:11 PDT 2020

Hi Steve,

On Jun 11, 2020, at 8:27 AM, support at bioontology.org<mailto:support at bioontology.org> wrote:

Hi, we are looking for a suitable repository for some ontologies relating to synchrotron and neutron science. The work is partly buy not entirely in the life sciences. Are there any restrictions in terms of domains?

As your work is partly in the life sciences, I don’t see any issue w.r.t. submitting your ontologies to BioPortal.

Is there a sandbox version of bioportal for experimenting before committing anything?

I think there are a couple of options for you to consider:

1). When you submit your ontology, you have the option to mark it as “private” and restrict viewing to only those user accounts that you choose. You could do that initially, then change the ontology to public when you’re ready to open it up to the broader community.

2). We offer BioPortal as a virtual appliance distribution, which you could run at your site. If you decide to go that route, there’s getting started information here: https://ontoportal.github.io/administration/steps/getting_started/.