[bioontology-support] Ontoportal licensing confusion

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Sun Jun 28 18:52:29 PDT 2020

Dave,

Thanks much for your email (and straightforward "I'm not a lawyer" language!).

The license is in fact for downloading and running the distribution of the prebuilt Virtual Appliances, as you suggest.

Building the VA yourself is entirely acceptable and does not require a license, since the code is open source. You're right the license mechanism is built into the open source code, but since that's BSD too, if you took that out for your own use we would have nothing legalistic to say about that.

While we don't intentionally obfuscate anything, the scripts to build the system have evolved over time, so we just try to make clear building the VA yourself is not for the faint of heart. And our private repository necessarily includes our BioPortal 'secrets' in the configuration file; you can of course substitute your own secrets. I can't remember if we have a generic configuration file that's public, but if not we would provide one if asked.

So far so good, I hope. Really we are not trying to game anyone, just trying to provide (a) a path toward sustainability, and (b) an understanding of who uses the system.

Toward that end, and with your preference to not violate the open-source spirit of the OntoPortal project, we should talk directly about other options. You are not the only company who is interested in using and even contributing to OntoPortal, and there are different paths by which we might find an acceptable agreement that could help the sustainability of OntoPortal, and probably be a better option for you.

I'll email you directly and we can see what's possible.

John