[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Francis Nguyen

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 4 11:46:40 PST 2020

Sergiu (and everyone running open source projects that are accessing BioPortal!),

Thank you for this question!

Yes please, you should keep your API key private, so that others don't use it and the privileges that come with it. We suggest keeping the key in a private repository, or better, setting the key as a run-time/start-up configuration from files accessible only to your project, so that it is not exposed to the public in this way. (After all, if anyone forks your code, you don't want them to use your key in running the software—then we would be asking you questions if their version of the software was doing something bad.)

Can you share with us (offline if you'd rather, or on the list if you want the advertising :->) what project this is used for? We'd like to start keeping track of all the projects that use BioPortal, so it will be very interesting to hear from you.

John (jgraybeal - at - stanford.edu<http://stanford.edu>)