[bioontology-support] Ordering issues while making ontology submissions programmatically

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Mon Nov 16 23:31:28 PST 2020

I'm not the final authority, but I do not recall that order can be preserved.

John

On Nov 16, 2020, at 3:00 PM, Manuel Fiorelli <manuel.fiorelli at gmail.com<mailto:manuel.fiorelli at gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi everybody

I need to make ontology submissions programmatically, uploading the ontology file as part of the submission (instead of providing a fetch URL).
I eventually figured out that it should be possible to encode the submission using as form data: each property of the JSON object is put into its own part, with a part for the uploaded file.
However, I had a problem with the property contact, which is supposed to contain the list of the contacts for the ontology.
Using PostMan, I defined the following parts, given as name:value pairs:

contact[][name]:Manuel Fiorelli
contact[][email]:manuel.fiorelli at gmail.com<mailto:manuel.fiorelli at gmail.com>
contact[][name]:Mario Rossi
contact[][email]:mario.rossi at example.org<mailto:mario.rossi at example.org>
contact[][name]:Mario Bianchi
contact[][email]:mario.bianchi at example.org<mailto:mario.bianchi at example.org>

Contrary to my understanding of how the API should work, I noticed (by fetching the newly created submission using the API) that the order of the contacts is not preserved.

Please, can you tell me whether the order is supposed to be preserved, and if so, how to guarantee that it is preserved.

Best regards,
Manuel Fiorelli

John Graybeal
Technical Program Manager
650-736-1632  | ORCID  0000-0001-6875-5360