[bioontology-support] From Hanfei Bao

Michael Dorf mdorf at stanford.edu
Tue Oct 27 08:40:25 PDT 2020

Hi Hanfei,

First, I’d like to ask you to send all your questions or issues related to BioPortal to support at bioontology.org<mailto:support at bioontology.org> instead of my personal email.  We have a number of people who monitor this list and can offer assistance.

As far as your ontology, I am not seeing any issues. There are several recursive relationships in your ontology, which BioPortal does not display. For example, the term “Location” is both a superclass and a subclass of the term “ConceptRelatingToGeneralizedSpace”. BioPortal shows that term only once in the tree as a subclass of the term “NaturalObject”.

Since I am not an ontology design expert, I wouldn’t speculate on whether such recursive relationships are a standard practice, but, obviously, Protege has no issues with them.

Michael

[cid:76776297-83D3-4726-A359-7ABC97FE0451][cid:4A9BB0BD-813C-44F9-8231-80A75F415B99]