[bioontology-support] Can I please find out what version of MedDRA are we using in REDCap?

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Fri Aug 27 10:01:16 PDT 2021

Hi Amy,

On Aug 26, 2021, at 11:29 PM, Amy Dang <amy.dang at deakin.edu.au<mailto:amy.dang at deakin.edu.au>> wrote:

H Bio Ontology team,

Can I please find out what version of MedDRA are we using?

We import MedDRA into BioPortal from the National Library of Medicine’s UMLS:

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/quickstart.html

We used the MedDRA coding in the RECap provided and when I went to the link it said version 2021AA,

2021AA refers to the UMLS release version, not the MedDRA version. If you want to know what version of MedDRA is included in the 2021AA UMLS release, you can look at this page:

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/sourcereleasedocs/current/MDR/metadata.html

It’s MedDRA version 23.1.

is the updated version in REDCap?
Do you automatically update the latest versions in REDCap and is this the correct place to find that detail? https://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/MEDDRA?p=summary

We’re the developers and maintainers of the BioPortal application, not REDCap. What I can say is that BioPortal only serves the most recent version of any given ontology. I assume that REDCap uses the BioPortal REST API to retrieve ontology data, so I’d guess they are also serving the most recent version of MedDRA.