[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Zach Smith

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Fri Aug 27 10:15:45 PDT 2021

Hello Zach,

On Aug 27, 2021, at 9:47 AM, support at bioontology.org<mailto:support at bioontology.org> wrote:

Hello Sir or Madam,

I am currently utilizing the bioontology API for MedDRA through RedCAP.

There is a question around the update cycle and current version for reporting.

A few questions:
1) How often is the MedDRA version updated?

We import MedDRA into BioPortal from the National Library of Medicine’s UMLS. The UMLS is updated twice per year in May (the “AA” release) and November (the “AB” release), e.g., this year will be 2021AA and 2021AB.

Although we host MedDRA, we’re not the authors and/or maintainers of the vocabulary. I don’t know whether each UMLS release contains a new version of MedDRA. The UMLS provides a vocabulary documentation page where you can find information about when each vocabulary was last updated:

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/sourcereleasedocs/index.html

In particular, this page shows the metadata for MedDRA:

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/sourcereleasedocs/current/MDR/index.html

2) Confirming the current version, is it 23.1?

Yes

3) Is there a regular cycle for MedDRA updates?

You may want to check with the authors / maintainers of MedDRA directly to get an answer to this question:

https://www.meddra.org/contact