[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Zach Smith

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Fri Aug 27 13:28:08 PDT 2021

Zach,

I happen to have previously checked, they do have a 6-month update cycle for MedDRA, releasing about 4-6 weeks before UMLS releases it's biannual update. You can find this information on the official MedDRA web site.

Unfortunately UMLS pulls in *MedDRA* updates only once a year, so for 6-7 months UMLS lags the latest MedDRA release by 6 months. There is nothing we can do to get around this discrepancy in release dates, and currently we are in the lag period, thereby missing most of the interesting COVID terms (and some others).

John