[bioontology-support] preventing wrong mappings

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Fri Feb 5 19:25:30 PST 2021

Heike,

That's a great idea!  But no, unfortunately the automated mappings are pretty simple-minded, without any particular augmentation. While we find the mappings are about 85% valid, it is understood by most who use them that they are more in the way of discovery tools, not so much modeling tools. (The mappings created in this way are noted as LOOM mappings in the UI and the API, so they can be identified.)

It is of course still useful information to signal readers and machines that any similarity mappings should be ignored for those relations, and maybe we could pick upon it when we find resources to improve the mappings algorithm. It is not a perfect solution however; there will be cases where two classes should not be mapped as being similar, but in fact their may be some instances that could belong to both classes. Another challenge is that our automated mappings are done across ontologies (not within ontologies, to my knowledge); and you would have to update your disjoint statements regularly to reflect incorrect mappings to newly added ontology terms in BioPortal.

John