[bioontology-support] SNOMED and RxNORM ontologies

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Fri Jun 11 10:17:48 PDT 2021

Hi Christine,

On Jun 9, 2021, at 10:43 AM, Alvarez, Theresa Christine (Christine) <Theresa.Alvarez at cchmc.org<mailto:Theresa.Alvarez at cchmc.org>> wrote:

My name is Christine Alvarez.  I work at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital building REDCap databases for the Rare Diseases Clinical Research Network (RDCRN).  There have been a few consortia that have expressed difficulty in finding the correct terms in the ontologies used in the databases, specifically SNOMED and RxNORM.  Is it possible to get a directory of the SNOMED and RxNORM ontologies?  We have tried downloading the files on the bioontology.org<http://bioontology.org/> site, but it does not open in a readable format.

If you navigate to the home page for RXNORM on the BioPortal website:

https://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/RXNORM

… there is a “Submissions” table about halfway down the page with a Downloads column. In that column, there are links to download the ontology source file for RXNORM in either CSV or TTL (RDF Turtle format). I downloaded both and found no issues with the file content. Note that the CSV file is compressed, so you’ll need to uncompress it before you can view the contents.

With regard to SNOMEDCT, we’re not allowed to offer downloads of the ontology source file due to licensing restrictions.

Feel free to follow up with us with examples of terms that you think should be present in the above ontologies. We could double-check our search service for you to verify that it’s working as expected.