[bioontology-support] Submit MESH ontology into OntoPortal

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Wed Jun 23 19:11:08 PDT 2021

Hello Bartłomiej,

We have documented the ontology submission process for OntoPortal at https://ontoportal.github.io/administration/ontologies/, and in particular https://ontoportal.github.io/administration/ontologies/troubleshooting_submissions/ describes how to troubleshoot submissions. For your situation, you might want to start with the Check the ontology<https://ontoportal.github.io/administration/ontologies/troubleshooting_submissions/#check-the-ontology-other-ways-to-validate-an-ontology> section, to see ways to validate your ontology without even using OntoPortal.

The fact that Robot can convert the file to OWL suggests the file itself is valid. In this case I would check the logs to see if they have reported a specific problem, and read the section on parsing large ontologies, since MESH is a fairly large ontology. In some cases we have found compressing the ontology into a .zip file enables it to get past a critical ingestion bottleneck. (OntoPortal will automatically decompress any .zip files it receives.)

If none of these ideas help, please tell us what error you received during submission, as well as the logs from the parsing process (per the information in the troubleshooting document). Send this information to this support list, and we'll see what we can figure out.

John