[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from James Beekley

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Fri Mar 26 11:33:41 PDT 2021

Hello James, Adrianne, Dazhi,

Thank you for your interest in using the ICD-O-3 ontology. This ontology was published by a user who has made the ontology private (hence not visible to anyone else).

On investigating the ontology to see if we could create a public copy, we are unable to find any indication that the license allows us to publish it in BioPortal ourselves. I found https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/publishing-policies/who-faq-licensing-icd-10.pdf which suggests putting it into BioPortal doesn't fit within the legal scope.  And https://apps.who.int/classifications/apps/icd/ClassificationDownloadNR/license.htm still is for an individual to use, not for republication as BioPortal is doing.

I would be happy to see a license that indicates otherwise, perhaps there is one for those particular resources? Or if you have a contact in WHO who would be able to help us with the licensing arrangements, that would be most helpful. I will pursue contacts on this end as well, in case the people we know are able to authorize this.

John