[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from mmandal

Clement Jonquet jonquet at lirmm.fr
Thu Sep 2 03:00:04 PDT 2021

Hi Meisha,

Just to reply this maybe before my colleagues at Stanford ;)

In fact, the Annotator is behaving as expected:
While it is not in the other ontologies

Therefore, there is no match in HSAPVD and MMUSDV because the simple concept of « adult" does not exist in those ontologies.  A simple class search with « exact match » will confirm this :

So to come back to your question :
> Is there a way to get the annotator to return longer matches
No. Because the Annotator does not work like a search tool. It can’ return things that are not explicitly defined in the ontology. Simply because « a longer match » will not be a right/valid annotation. According to the original developers of the ontologies (in our case HSAPVD and MMUSDV) the concept of « adult » doe snot exist in their ontologies.

If you believe the « adult » should be a synonym  of some concepts in HSAPVD and MMUSDV, then the request should come up to the HSAPVD and MMUSDV ontology developper to consider if yes or not « adult » is a relevant synonym for the concepts they have defined in their ontologies.
BioPortal offers

Note the other way around would work :
The Annotator offers the « match longest only » option. This option is used for instance to get in AMPHX only the match with « adult-A stage » and not the second, less precise annotation with « adult » (i.e; a shorter one) ASSUMING the sentence given contains the expression « blabla adult-A stage blabla bla ».

I hope it helps.
Clement

Dr. Clement JONQUET  –  PhD in Informatics
Associate Research Scientist – INRAE (MISTEA)
Associate Professor – University of Montpellier (LIRMM)