[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from KReinold

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Fri Sep 17 14:18:41 PDT 2021

Hi Kathy,

On Sep 17, 2021, at 2:04 PM, support at bioontology.org<mailto:support at bioontology.org> wrote:

Hello,
I tried submitting an ontology in OWL that imports two other vocabularies.
# imports: http://www.w3.org/ns/dcat
# imports: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/EBISPOT/DUO/master/duo-basic.owl
This produced errors.

Two questions:
1. Is there more information about the submission process available?

The only documentation we have is on our wiki here:

https://www.bioontology.org/wiki/BioPortal_Help#Submitting_an_ontology

2. I just realized dcat (which uses content negotiation for that link) is only capable of returning ttl, rdf and not native owl. Could that be the problem? If so, do you have any suggestions for addressing this?

I assume you’re referring to the ontology entry created under the acronym “TERRADCAT_AP” at this page:

https://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/TERRADCAT_AP

Can you give any more detail about the error you encountered?

I’m looking at your ontology now and it looks like the submission was created as a "metadata only" submission, meaning that the classes and properties in your ontology wouldn’t be available for browsing via BioPortal. Is this what you intended?