[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from wdduncan at gmail.com

Jennifer Leigh Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Tue Sep 21 12:47:42 PDT 2021

Hello Bill,

On Sep 21, 2021, at 12:06 PM, support at bioontology.org<mailto:support at bioontology.org> wrote:

Hello. I need update the description for the NMDCO. However, the edit page doesn't allow me to do this.

I’m not sure if this is the issue, but I’m wondering if perhaps you tried to do the editing by clicking on the “Edit ontology details” button at the top-right of your ontology summary page? That button will bring you to a form for editing top-level details about the ontology entry in BioPortal, e.g., administrative rights, public vs. private viewing privileges, what category your ontology belongs to, etc.

To edit the description field for your latest ontology submission, you would instead click the “Edit latest submission” button, located to the left of the word “Submissions” at the top of the table that lists all of your ontology submissions. This will open a form that allows you to edit the description, among other things.

If you experienced some other issue than what I’ve described here, please provide me with a little more detail if possible.

I changed the ontology description in the OWL file on github. Will Bioportal import this updated description?

I see that you have your ontology configured to load nightly from a GitHub location. If you made changes to your ontology, the BioPortal software will detect that this evening when the nightly pull process kicks off, download a new version, and create a new submission with your updated ontology file.

However, at the moment we don’t update metadata fields like description from ontology content. We’ve discussed this in the past, but haven’t implemented it yet. The issue is somewhat complicated because we accept ontologies in multiple formats, i.e., OWL, OBO, SKOS, etc. and each language has their own field types for storing metadata.