[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from felix engel

Michael Dorf mdorf at stanford.edu
Wed Jan 26 10:13:40 PST 2022

Hi Felix,

Thank you for your nice comment. Without knowing your specific application of BioPortal, it’s a bit subjective for me to give you a pointed answer. You can do a general search for “BioPortal” on Google Scholar, which yields a number of relevant publications:

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=bioportal&btnG=<https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,5&q=bioportal&btnG=>

Though some of these are dated, the general purpose of BioPortal has remained unchanged: provide an online repository and tools for biomedical ontologies. Here is a relevant research paper:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S153204641730120X

You can also check out our Projects page, which has a sampling of third party resources that utilize BioPortal:

https://bioportal.bioontology.org/projects

Another resource to consider is the OntoPortal Alliance, which uses the BioPortal technology to promote semantic services in scientific research:

https://ontoportal.org/

If you are interested in the technical aspects of BioPortal, we publish a virtual appliance that you can install and configure locally. Browse the relevant documentation here:

https://ontoportal.github.io/administration/

Hope this helps.

Thank you,

---
Michael Dorf
Chief Software Architect
National Center for Biomedical Ontology (NCBO)
Stanford Center for Biomedical Informatics Research (BMIR)
Stanford University
mdorf at stanford.edu<mailto:mdorf at stanford.edu>
650-723-0357