[diaspora-media] Contacting bloggers

Yosem Companys yosem at joindiaspora.com
Fri Sep 30 19:11:58 PDT 2011

> I am exceedingly committed to the idea of privacy, but what I'm saying is
> that we should be careful not to overemphasize it ... not to be too
> hyperenthusiastic (yes, it's really me writing this). ;) I think it may be
> more desirable to communicate the useful goodness of Diaspora ... the
> community, ease of operation, ease of data portability ("You don't like it?
> No worries. You can take your data at any time. Thanks for giving us a
> try.") We don't want to alienate casual users ... we don't want privacy
> emphasis to seem like a scare tactic. We want to send a balanced message,
> emphasizing the benefits to them.

I completely agree with this.  In fact, I myself have made the same mistake
at times, and I have had to remind myself of my over zealous preaching about
the benefits of personal data ownership.  We definitely don't want to come
off as preachy.

The reality is that Diaspora is about offering something else than just
privacy.  It's about building a new social web that facilitates
inter-connectivity and fun.  For example, see:
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/312158

What we are trying to do is to create a system where privacy can be taken
for granted because it is the default way of operating.  We are trying to
create a world where people can be as public as they want because they know
their privacy is protected.  In short, we are trying to create an online
world that reflects real life.

As Max always reminds me, the point of Diaspora is that it's fun.  Sure,
open source and distributed makes things potentially more secure and
private.  But it also enables inter-connectivity and fun.  It's freedom and
control.  Let's not forget our open-source developers are not only doing
this because they want to build something you want to use but also because
they want to build something they want to use.  They are bored with our
current options and want something more fun and engaging to share with their
friends.  So it all works out in the end.  To this end, Cubbi.es is the
template:  Building fun applications that are unconstrained by virtue of
open-source and distributed inter-connectivity, so they can be as fun as
possible.