[farmshare-discuss] error in R installation on farmshare (corn)?

Adrian Albert adalbert at stanford.edu
Mon Dec 17 17:09:23 PST 2012

Hello,

perhaps some of the R wizards on this list can help me with the following
error. I connect to corn via ssh -X, I start R in command line, then try to
do a very simple linear regression using lm(). However it seems that the R
installation on farmshare is broken? It seems not to find lapack.so, which
lm needs to perform a Cholesky inversion! Anyone knows why that is the case
? I attach a code snippet below.

Thanks!
Adrian

> data(iris)
> head(iris)
  Sepal.Length Sepal.Width Petal.Length Petal.Width Species
1          5.1         3.5          1.4         0.2  setosa
2          4.9         3.0          1.4         0.2  setosa
3          4.7         3.2          1.3         0.2  setosa
4          4.6         3.1          1.5         0.2  setosa
5          5.0         3.6          1.4         0.2  setosa
6          5.4         3.9          1.7         0.4  setosa

> zz = lm(Sepal.Length ~., data = iris)
> summary(zz)
Error in chol2inv(Qr$qr[p1, p1, drop = FALSE]) :
  lapack routines cannot be loaded
In addition: Warning message:
In chol2inv(Qr$qr[p1, p1, drop = FALSE]) :
  unable to load shared object '/usr/lib/R/modules//lapack.so':
  /usr/lib/R/modules//lapack.so: undefined symbol: dpstrf_

Adrian Albert
PhD Candidate, Electrical Engineering
Stanford University
Tel.: 001 510 213 1220