[farmshare-discuss] number of parallel threads on barley

Jason Scott Bishop bishopj at stanford.edu
Tue Jan 31 19:48:35 PST 2012

corn-image-new is a 4 core system, so I wouldnt' recommend running matlab on that machine itself.

If you submit a matlab job to the barley cluster then you will get 24

assuming this is your submit script named "matlab.submit":
#$ -N matlab_example
#$ -m bes
#$ -j y

/afs/ir.stanford.edu/software/matlab-2011b/bin/matlab -nodesktop <<EOF
disp(maxNumCompThreads)
EOF

$ qsub matlab.submit

after the job is finished you should see output like this:

Warning: No display specified.  You will not be able to display graphics on the screen.
Warning: No window system found.  Java option 'MWT' ignored

                            < M A T L A B (R) >
                  Copyright 1984-2011 The MathWorks, Inc.
                    R2011b (7.13.0.564) 64-bit (glnxa64)
                              August 13, 2011

To get started, type one of these: helpwin, helpdesk, or demo.
For product information, visit www.mathworks.com.

>> Warning: maxNumCompThreads will be removed in a future release. Please remove
any instances of this function from your code.
> In maxNumCompThreads at 27
    24