[farmshare-discuss] Matlab Parallel Computing Toolbox licenses on Barley

David Melbourne Blum dmblum at stanford.edu
Wed Sep 19 23:26:56 PDT 2012

Hi folks,

Today I submitted 4 jobs to Barley (simultaneously), each using Matlab and Parallel Computing Toolbox. The first one ended recently after about 5 hrs, and I got an error that there was no PCT license available. (Error and output copied at the end of this email for reference.)

Can someone fill me in on any of the following?

- the policy (if there is one) for people submitting multiple simultaneous jobs to Barley
- the number of PCT licenses available
- any tips for checking before submitting to find out if there is a license available
- any tips for prompting the server to generate an error or an output soon after a job starts running to find out if there a license for PCT is unavailable?

I am somewhat frustrated that the job didn't end right after generating the no license error and instead ran for 5 hours before I received the error. Two of the jobs that are still running, which I expect to take 30 hours, and it will be substantially more frustrating if I discover after waiting 30 hours that the jobs couldn't be filled because licenses for PCT were unavailable. If there is a way to check on the availability of licenses, or if there is a way to prompt the server to generate an error/output right away so that I can kill a job if a license is unavailable, that would be helpful to know about. Or, if the licenses are limited to 1 per user, thereby preventing users from submitting multiple simultaneous jobs that use PCT, that would also be useful gouge.

Many thanks,
David

-----------------
error message

/afs/ir.stanford.edu/software/matlab-2011b/bin/util/oscheck.sh: line 184: /lib/libc.so.6: No such file or directory
{Error using parallel_function (line 598)

Unable to checkout a license for the Parallel Computing Toolbox

Error stack:
remoteParallelFunction.m at 31

Error in MaxSurvPathArrayDeptPar (line 122)
parfor p = 1:12
}

-----------------
output message

Warning: No display specified.  You will not be able to display graphics on the screen.
Warning: No window system found.  Java option 'MWT' ignored

                            < M A T L A B (R) >
                  Copyright 1984-2011 The MathWorks, Inc.
                    R2011b (7.13.0.564) 64-bit (glnxa64)
                              August 13, 2011

To get started, type one of these: helpwin, helpdesk, or demo.
For product information, visit www.mathworks.com.

running.
You can use   'matlabpool close force local'    or create a configuration for
the distcomp.localscheduler object and use   'matlabpool close force
<configurationName>'    to remove all jobs created by matlabpool.}
{> In distcomp.interactiveclient.pRemoveOldJobs at 55
  In distcomp.interactiveclient.start at 58
  In MatlabpoolHelper>MatlabpoolHelper.doOpen at 250
  In MatlabpoolHelper>MatlabpoolHelper.doMatlabpool at 102
  In matlabpool at 131}
Starting matlabpool using the 'local' configuration ... connected to 12 labs.
License Manager Error -15
MATLAB is unable to connect to the license server.
Check that the license manager has been started, and that the MATLAB client machine can communicate with the license server.

Troubleshoot this issue by visiting:
http://www.mathworks.com/support/lme/R2011b/15

Diagnostic Information:
Feature: Distrib_Computing_Toolbox
License path: /afs/ir/users/d/m/dmblum/.matlab/R2011b_licenses:/afs/ir.stanford.edu/software/matlab-2011b/licenses/license.dat:/afs/ir.stanford.edu/software/matlab-2011b/licenses/network.lic
FLEXnet Licensing error: -15,570. System Error: 115

David Blum
Ph.D candidate, Decision and Risk Analysis Group
Department of Management Science & Engineering
Predoctoral Science Fellow
Center for International Security and Cooperation
Stanford University

510-414-4450 (m)
415-230-0645 (skype)
815-301-3500 (fax)