[farmshare-discuss] updating Matlab errors and outputs

David Melbourne Blum dmblum at stanford.edu
Fri Sep 21 13:55:21 PDT 2012

Here's a question for anyone who knows something about linux:

Like many users, I use qsub to submit scripts to the Barley cluster that launch Matlab and execute a .m file.  As it is, the outputs and errors are blank until the .m file finishes running, or until I kill it with qdel, or until it encounters an error that causes it to terminate. However it would be very helpful if I could get the output and any errors associated with my .m file execution before the script is finished executing.

Is there a linux command that I can enter into the shell when I'm logged into Corn or Senpai that will prompt the system to update the Matlab output or error files while Matlab is running (possibly some sort of switch for qstat), or alternatively, is there a line that I can add to scripts that I submit using qsub that will instruct the system to update errors and outputs periodically?

Many thanks for any suggestions,
David

David Blum
Ph.D candidate, Decision and Risk Analysis Group
Department of Management Science & Engineering
Predoctoral Science Fellow
Center for International Security and Cooperation
Stanford University

510-414-4450 (m)
415-230-0645 (skype)
815-301-3500 (fax)