[farmshare-discuss] job submission to barley machines

Abhik Lahiri alahiri at stanford.edu
Mon Sep 24 20:26:55 PDT 2012

Hi,
I am trying to submit bash scripts as jobs to the barley machines. The command I am using is:  qsub -cwd -o /dev/null -e /dev/null job1.script
However, none of my jobs run. They script runs for a few seconds before getting killed, and nothing is written to the output file in my script too (I had earlier put filenames for the -o and -e but both the stdout and stderr files were empty).
My shell script starts matlab and runs a matlab script (the command used is something like - unset DISPLAY; matlab > output_file << EOF; matlab_task(arg1, arg2); exit; EOF - so, its the usual script to run a matlab task and write the output to a file output_file). To debug this, I ran a test job by ssh'ing directly into a barley and running this same script, and it runs fine!!
So, I wonder why the job scheduler is not able to run the script? Are there some mandatory parameters I need to pass along with the qsub command that I am missing here? The qsub command is run from my home dir in /mnt/glusterfs, and output_file (in the matlab command above) is also in my home dir in /mnt/glusterfs, so I am following the guidelines about the location of input/output scripts here.
Any help from someone will be greatly appreciated!! My research is on hold right now because of this problem :(

Thanks!
Abhik