[farmshare-discuss] Issue Logging In with Putty on Windows

Chris Young cvyoung at stanford.edu
Sat Sep 29 12:32:18 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on an error I'm
getting logging in to corn on a PC using Putty.  (Everything works
fine on my mac using X11 and the -X flag for ssh.)

I have X11 forwarding enabled.  When I first log in it hangs for
several seconds and I get a message:
/usr/bin/xauth: timeout in locking authority file /afs/ir/users/c/v/
cvyoung/.Xauthority

I can do simple things like change directories, but all the file
permissions in my home directory have "???????" listed until I do a
"kinit; aklog" and type in my password.

I also can't do anything requiring X11 windows.  Trying to run
"xclock" gives:
"PuTTY X11 proxy: wrong authorisation protocol attempted"
"Error: Can't open display: localhost:14.0"

I'm assuming it's something in my Putty settings for SSH.  Anybody run
across something like this before?

Thanks a lot,
Chris

--