[farmshare-discuss] Issue Logging In with Putty on Windows

Victor Chavez vdc at stanford.edu
Sat Sep 29 12:37:34 PDT 2012

On Sep 29, 2012, at 12:32 PM, Chris Young <cvyoung at stanford.edu> wrote:
> I was wondering if someone could shed some light on an error I'm getting logging in to corn on a PC using Putty.  (Everything works fine on my mac using X11 and the -X flag for ssh.)
>
> I have X11 forwarding enabled.  When I first log in it hangs for several seconds and I get a message:
> /usr/bin/xauth: timeout in locking authority file /afs/ir/users/c/v/cvyoung/.Xauthority
>
> I can do simple things like change directories, but all the file permissions in my home directory have "???????" listed until I do a "kinit; aklog" and type in my password.
>
> I also can't do anything requiring X11 windows.  Trying to run "xclock" gives:
> "PuTTY X11 proxy: wrong authorisation protocol attempted"
> "Error: Can't open display: localhost:14.0"
>
> I'm assuming it's something in my Putty settings for SSH.  Anybody run across something like this before?

Are you connecting to 'corn.stanford.edu' or a specific corn?  If you try logging into another corn, do you get different behavior?

Are you using password auth or kerberos?  When you login, can you run 'kinit -f' and paste the results?

And just checking: do you have an X Server on your Windows system (e.g. Xming)?

--
Victor Chavez, 650.736.8350
Sr. SysAdmin, Stanford IT Services