[farmshare-discuss] Not able to write to file while using screen

Adam Seishas aseishas at stanford.edu
Sun Nov 10 11:56:31 PST 2013

Users’ home directories are on an AFS volume. Normally, when you log out your AFS token is discarded and you lose access to disk (tokens can also expire even if you remain logged in, usually after 25 hours). If you need to run a long process that will write output to your home directory, either while logged in, or while logged out and using nohup or screen (or tmux), you’ll need to make sure that your token is retained:

https://www.stanford.edu/group/farmshare/cgi-bin/wiki/index.php/AFS

Instructions for using screen, specifically, can be found at the bottom of the page (and in the tokens documentation linked from there). Alternatively, you can use a different location, one not in AFS, for output; a good spot is your per-user subdirectory in /farmshare/user_data.

—
Adam Seishas
IT Service Desk
Stanford University