[farmshare-discuss] 3X: A workbench for computational experiments

Jaeho Shin Jaeho.Shin at Stanford.EDU
Thu Jan 23 14:43:45 PST 2014

Hi all,

I'd like to announce a software tool (called "3X") that we're developing at the Stanford InfoLab to support computational experiments.  We think many users of our FarmShare clusters would find the tool useful.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, using 3X for your experiment on corn or elsewhere.

Thanks,
~Jaeho

----

Got a lot of parameters to vary for your program? Feeling pain managing their input data and/or output data generated? Want to run them on different machines in parallel, and easily re-run some of them? Here's a software tool that we’re building to help you organize your computational experiments: http://netj.github.io/3x/

3X is an open-source software tool to ease the burden of conducting computational experiments and managing data analytics. 3X provides a standard yet configurable structure to execute a wide variety of experiments in a systematic way, avoiding repeated creation of ad-hoc scripts and directory hierarchies. 3X organizes the code, inputs, and outputs for an experiment. The tool submits arbitrary numbers of computational runs to a variety of different compute platforms, and supervises their execution. It records the returning results, and lets you immediately visualize the data in a variety of ways. Aggregated result data in the 3X GUI links back to individual runs, and further runs of the experiment can be driven interactively.

We are looking for new users who can benefit from the current features of 3X while providing feedback for improving and extending the tool. Our ultimate goal is to make 3X a "smart assistant" that runs experiments and analyzes results semi-automatically, so experimenters and analysts can focus their time on the more interesting aspects of their work. Currently, we are developing two features toward this end: visualization recommendations and automatic runners.

Please give 3X a try!
http://netj.github.io/3x/