[farmshare-discuss] Two-Factor Coming to Farmshare June 16th!

Alex Chekholko chekh at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 19 12:11:41 PDT 2015

On 8/19/15 12:01 PM, Zhiming Wang wrote:
> I don't want to argue about the security aspect of TOTP vs a proprietary
> solution, but I do want to be offered a TOTP option, which seems to be
> the industry standard anyway. Right now I'm using my good old TOTP
> secret key, but I feel for the new users who are forced to use Duo.

Hi Zhiming,

Our team (Stanford Research Computing) is a user of the services
provided by the Stanford Accounts team, just like all our users.

I haven't been through the two-step device configuration setup myself in
a while; in what sense are users "forced to use Duo"?

I think other options are available in the Two-Step setup in
accounts.stanford.edu

FarmShare just uses standard Stanford two-step auth, just like Axess,
WebAuth, etc.

chekh at stanford.edu 347-401-4860 chekh at stanford.edu