[farmshare-discuss] Two-Factor Coming to Farmshare June 16th!

Zhiming Wang zmwang at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 19 13:32:04 PDT 2015

> On Aug 19, 2015, at 1:20 PM, Alex Chekholko <chekh at stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I found some good notes about the differences between plain TOTP (e.g. Google Authenticator) and Duo Mobile here:
>
> https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/InCFederation/2013/11/09/Mobile+Apps+for+OTP
>
> So Duo has the regular TOTP functionality, just like Google Authenticator, just click the key icon in the Duo app and it will show you the TOTP code.  And I think you can use the Duo mobile app with any other TOTP system, just snap a picture of the QR code just like you would with Google Authenticator.

Thanks for the info. I never tried to set up Duo before (for fear of invalidating my old key) so I didn't know that. I just tried and indeed they offer a barcode which translates to a secret key beginning with duo://. So I'm confused now; what exactly does Duo offer, if we could still authenticate through plain TOTP (looks like the Duo Push thing is just optional)?

Best,
Zhiming

> You can file a HelpSU to category "Privacy and Information Security" if you would like to talk to someone from ISO.  Or maybe contact Duo and ask them to release the source of their mobile app under a Free license.

Actually knowing that it's still possible to set up TOTP, I'm not as concerned any more.

Best,
Zhiming