[farmshare-discuss] "biff" error?

Dan Nguyen dun at stanford.edu
Thu Jan 8 16:14:04 PST 2015

I’ve just started teaching a class that’s using the corn.stanford.edu <http://corn.stanford.edu/>…I assumed that when everyone logged in, by default, would see the standard bash prompt:

     dun at corn26:~$

However, half the class is seeing just the name of the machine at the prompt (i.e. “corn26”)…moreover, when logging in, they see this error:

    biff: Command not found.

Later on, certain commands weren’t working for these students…not until they entered the bash shell by explicitly running “bash” from the command-line.

I’m relatively new to Stanford so I don’t have many changes to the default environment…a lot of the students who have had the “biff” error have been at Stanford for a few years, so I’m assuming they’ve all taken some class where a change to their bash profiles have been made…but I can’t tell what that might be.

-Dan