[farmshare-discuss] "biff" error?

Adam Seishas aseishas at stanford.edu
Thu Jan 8 16:25:25 PST 2015

It’s actually more likely that some of the students’ accounts were created when tcsh(!) was still the default shell for new users. Affected students can continue to run bash manually, or they can submit a HelpSU request (or write to research-computing-support at stanford.edu <mailto:research-computing-support at stanford.edu>) asking that their default shells be changed:

https://web.stanford.edu/group/farmshare/cgi-bin/wiki/index.php/FAQ#How_do_I_change_my_shell_on_a_cardinal_or_a_corn <https://web.stanford.edu/group/farmshare/cgi-bin/wiki/index.php/FAQ#How_do_I_change_my_shell_on_a_cardinal_or_a_corn>

Recommended minimum configurations for bash, zsh, and tcsh can be found on the FarmShare wiki:

https://web.stanford.edu/group/farmshare/cgi-bin/wiki/index.php/Dotfiles <https://web.stanford.edu/group/farmshare/cgi-bin/wiki/index.php/Dotfiles>

(biff is a legacy mail utility and has been removed from the latest configurations.)

—
Adam Seishas
IT Service Desk
Stanford University