[farmshare-discuss] Leaving ssh-agent to run in the background?

Jaeho Shin Jaeho.Shin at Stanford.EDU
Tue Jan 13 22:45:37 PST 2015

Hi Dan,

corn.stanford.edu is an alias to a set of machines and you're not guaranteed to connect to the same one upon subsequent logins.  The ssh-agent is probably running, but on a different machine than the one you logged in to the last time.

You can let your students pick their favorite number, e.g., 12, and use corn12.stanford.edu instead of the load balanced alias.  This way, they will be able to always login to the same machine that has the ssh-agent process running, but may get stuck in a busy machine.

In this particular case, I think you may want to let them access GitHub via HTTPS with Personal Access Tokens.  They can store their generated token in ~/.netrc and essentially have the same thing to the ssh key setup.  It seems this feature isn't explicitly documented, but all you need is a line in ~/.netrc with the token generated from GitHub settings page.  In fact, this may be even simpler than the ssh key setup.  Here are some useful links:

https://help.github.com/articles/creating-an-access-token-for-command-line-use/
http://www.blogdown.io/c4d42f87-80dd-45d5-8927-4299cbdf261c/posts/574baa68-f663-4dcf-88b9-9d41310baf2f
http://wikimatze.de/github-two-factor-authentication-failed-for-https/

HTH