[farmshare-discuss] Leaving ssh-agent to run in the background?

John Bickar jbickar at stanford.edu
Tue Jan 13 22:46:16 PST 2015

Hi,

This should work; I clone from github all the time from the corns. Not
sure what you mean by having to restart the ssh-agent.

I'm assuming you are trying to clone private repos (otherwise there's no
need for an SSH key).

Are you using the HTTPS or the SSH protocol to clone from github? (E.g.,
"git clone git at github.com..." or "git clone https://github.com...")

What do you get when you run "ssh -T git at github.com"? (Both when it's
working, and when it's not.)

Lastly, I had troubles in the past in cloning from github on a different
set of campus servers (not the corns). I added this to my ~/.ssh/config
and it resolved the issue:

Host github.com
   Hostname ssh.github.com
     Port 443