[farmshare-discuss] Git Clone fatal error (sha1 file, timeout)

Andreas Santucci santucci.andreas at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 13:53:44 PDT 2016

Dear Farmshare Mailing List,

I am quite consistently encountering a connection time-out when trying to
clone git repositories on Corn, regardless whether I attempt to clone via
SSH or HTTPS.

*Using HTTPS:*
santucci at corn12:~$ git clone https://github.com/CME211/cme211-asantucci.git
Cloning into 'cme211-asantucci'...
Username for 'https://github.com': asantucci
Password for 'https://asantucci@github.com':
remote: Counting objects: 52, done.

*fatal: error when closing sha1 file: Connection timed out*

*Using SSH:*
santucci at corn12:~$ git clone git at github.com:CME211/cme211-asantucci.git
Cloning into 'cme211-asantucci'...
remote: Counting objects: 52, done.
remote: Total 52 (delta 9), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 24
Receiving objects: 100% (52/52), 10.18 MiB | 1.31 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (15/15), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
error: unable to create file hw1/alignments3.txt (Connection timed out)
... (More connection time-outs here) ...

*fatal: unable to checkout working treewarning: unable to unlink
.git/index.lock: Connection timed outwarning: Clone succeeded, but checkout
failed.*You can inspect what was checked out with 'git status'
and retry the checkout with 'git checkout -f HEAD'

Attempts to follow the instructions above (retrying the checkout) leads
only to more time-outs.

*Last Ditch Effort: Adding SSH Keys to GitHub Account:*
I've also tried to follow some of the instructions listed here on GitHub
<https://help.github.com/categories/ssh/> pertaining to adding SSH Keys or
GPG Keys manually to a GitHub account.

*Question:*
What is the correct way to remedy this error? Executing the same commands
from a local machine causes no problems. I apologize that the repository
listed above is private. For a public repo which also causes the same
error, try:

git clone https://github.com/HazyResearch/snorkel.git

Thank you for your time and attention, please let me know if I can add any
clarifying details.

Andreas Santucci