[farmshare-discuss] disable ssh timeout

Federico Rossi frossi2 at stanford.edu
Fri Sep 29 11:36:53 PDT 2017

Ismael,

For your use case, you may want to look into using screen
<https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-and-use-screen-on-an-ubuntu-cloud-server>
or tmux <https://github.com/tmux/tmux/wiki> to keep your session alive even
when you log off/ssh drops out.
With screen, creating a new session is as simple as typing screen. You may
then start your jupyter notebooks inside screen as you normally do (jupyter
notebook). You can then detach from screen with ctrl-a d  and close your
ssh connection: the process or processes inside screen will stay alive. The
next time you log in (to the same machine), you can resume your screen
session with screen -r. You can kill a screen session by typing exit inside
the session or by using ctrl-a k.
Hope this helps!