[farmshare-discuss] Class-Accessible Jupyter Notebook

Sam Redmond sredmond at stanford.edu
Sun Jan 7 04:04:14 PST 2018

Hello all,

This may be more a question for general SRCC than FarmShare, but I teach an
introductory course on Python and I would like to lower the barrier for
students getting started with Python.

Is there a way to set up a job on FarmShare such that students in my class
can connect to a Jupyter notebook through a browser running (proxied to) on
a rice login node as themselves? Essentially, I would like each student to
be able to run Python code as themselves on rice, but without "dealing
with" SSH and CLI tools (the course is targeted towards beginners).

Basically, I want to emulate the behavior of

local$ ssh username at rice.stanford.edu
rice$ module load anaconda3
rice$ pip3 install class-specific-libraries
rice$ jupyter notebook
... quit the command line interface ...
    Copy/paste this URL into your browser when you connect for the first
time,
    to login with a token:
        http://localhost:8888/?token=foobar
* NEW WINDOW *
local$ ssh username at rice.stanford.edu -L 8888:localhost:8888

* visit localhost:8888?token=foobar on local broswer *

without all the set-up "hassle."

It would be amazing if my students could visit cs41.stanford.edu/notebook,
authorize with something like webauth (with 2FA required each time since
rice requires 2FA), and land in a jupyter notebook.

Another approach would be to have a Stanford-controlled JupyterHub [
https://github.com/jupyterhub/jupyterhub] hub running as root somewhere,
spawning single-user servers for students of all courses as needed. I would
set one up myself but it seems like there's a lot of difficulty in
configuring a jupyterhub process running as non-root to still be allowed to
spawn single-user servers running as other users on the system [
https://github.com/jupyterhub/jupyterhub/wiki/Using-sudo-to-run-JupyterHub-without-root-privileges
]

Of course, I'm more than happy to come meet with someone in person during
the winter quarter to hash this all out.

--Sam

--
Sam Redmond
M.S. Candidate, Computer Science