Curator prediction of NOT kinase activity

Valerie Wood val at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Mar 8 03:10:14 PST 2006

Hi Emily,

A few comments which may be relevant:

Out of interest, which protein kinase family is this (i.e. which
Interpro domain).
Is it a family where some (but not all) members are protein kinases, in
which case the mapping should be removed?

Alternatively, if this appears to be a spurious hit, instead of adding a
NOT annotation, you can get spurious matches suppressed by Interpro as
false positives (I often do this for S. pombe).

Or, could it be a sequencing or gene predicition error?

Val

Midori Harris wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think there's no doubt whatsoever that this information should be
> captured. The question is what to put for reference and evidence. The best
> evidence code is probably TAS, although one could possibly also make a
> case for ISS (note that IC is restricted to inferences from other GO
> annotations, so isn't suitable).
>
> For a reference, one possibility is to add an item to the GO_REF
> collection; then there would be an ID to plug into the file.

> On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Emily Dimmer wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > One of our annotators, who is an expert on protein kinases, has looked
> > at the sequence of a putative protein kinase and from noticing a couple
> > of amino acids changes at its active site, has predicted that it does
> > not possess any kinase activity - she did not use any software and there
> > is no published work on this protein.
> > Do you think this type of annotation should be represented in GO (we
> > feel this annotation is of high quality and adds valuable information to
> > a protein which has not yet been characterized), and if so how should
> > this annotation be shown?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Emily

Valerie Wood		       Tel: 01223 494954
S. pombe Genome Project	       Fax: 01223 494919
The Sanger Institute           email: val at sanger.ac.uk
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus   http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Projects/S_pombe
Cambridge
CB10 1SA