Curator prediction of NOT kinase activity

Evelyn Camon camon at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Mar 8 05:42:29 PST 2006

> what were the objections to a GO_REF, this would be unambiguous

Hi,

The issue of using the GO_REF vs extension of the evidence codes is on
the GO Consortium meeting agenda.

Arguments against GO_REF include:

I don't think the users will read about GO_REF (is that our problem?)
I don't think the users will even see GO_REF in most tools, microarray,
we are also limited in UniProt ffl to 4 fields of GO information
Users can filter on GO_REF plus evidence code but are we simply avoiding
extending the number of useful GO evidence codes, for manual codes I can
see that extending the codes might slow down curation but for more
granular IEA codes, they are created electronically so no extra effort
from curator required.
Biology is complex. Although I don't like to see information lost I
think we further complicate what was a simple annotation process and output.

Arguments in favour GO_REF include:

many different techniques not practical (or is it) to create ne evidence
codes, helps to disambiguate annotations

I am really not wishing to start a new thread here...can we leave GO_REF
and codes to Consortium meeting, I am still collecting ideas..you could
reply to me directly if you wish me to collect further 'for' and
'aganist' examples for discussion.

cheers
Evelyn

E-mail: camon at ebi.ac.uk