Curator prediction of NOT kinase activity

Alexander D. Diehl adiehl at informatics.jax.org
Wed Mar 8 05:54:48 PST 2006

Hi,

Sorry to be so late on this discussion, but I would like suggest that
perhaps the annotation is inappropriate on the grounds that NOT
annotations in general are very tricky assertions, and are best based on
actual experimental evidence, which itself is very dependent on the
experimental conditions used.  There's a universe of proteins that I
could provide NOT kinase activity for, but of course most people would
not confuse them with kinases.  The question here is more whether the
original algorithms for predicting kinase activity need to be refined so
that proteins lacking the correct residues in the active site are not
flagged as kinases in the first place.  Such refinement, of course,
ought best to be based on experimental evidence (wet science) that feeds
the computational algorithm development, and that's where expert input
is needed.

I thus vote against any annotation at all in this case.

-- Alex

--
Alexander Diehl, Ph.D.
Scientific Curator