Curator prediction of NOT kinase activity

Valerie Wood val at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Mar 8 07:38:27 PST 2006

> it is also possible that they use a modified
> catalytic mechanism that does not require these
> residues. This has been shown for the Wnk
> family, where Lys13 is thought to replace Lys30
> in adenosine triphosphate (ATP) binding (25)."
>
> In other words, nobody knows what they do, so we annotated to
> 'unknown' since we were uncomfortable with 'protein kinase activity.'

In that case, because it is impossible for a curator to know whether
some family members have evolved to use alternative catalytic residues
to the ones they are familiar with, probably means it is best  to
reserve NOT for experimental codes......

I am quite happy to see protein kinase family members annotated to
protein kinase activity 'with' ISS, even if they lack residues which are
presumed to be required (providing these fulfill other criteria for
family membership when clustered), because, presumably anybody doing an
experiment would test this, and the NOT would be added if this was shown
not to be the case....

Although Karen, I can see your reasoning for annotating to function
unknown, but if somebody wanted to retrieve all proteins which were
likely to be kinases, based on sequence similarity wouldn't they also
want to retrieve these gene products? After all this is a reasonable
inference.....Sometimes using 'unknown' means these will not come to the
attention of people who may be interested in them as potential protein
kinases.

Val

> Karen
>
> At 07:54 AM 3/8/2006, Alexander D. Diehl wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sorry to be so late on this discussion, but I would like suggest
> > that perhaps the annotation is inappropriate on the grounds that NOT
> > annotations in general are very tricky assertions, and are best
> > based on actual experimental evidence, which itself is very
> > dependent on the experimental conditions used.  There's a universe
> > of proteins that I could provide NOT kinase activity for, but of
> > course most people would not confuse them with kinases.  The
> > question here is more whether the original algorithms for predicting
> > kinase activity need to be refined so that proteins lacking the
> > correct residues in the active site are not flagged as kinases in
> > the first place.  Such refinement, of course, ought best to be based
> > on experimental evidence (wet science) that feeds the computational
> > algorithm development, and that's where expert input is needed.
> >
> > I thus vote against any annotation at all in this case.
> >
> > -- Alex

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The issue of using the GO_REF vs extension of the evidence codes
> >> is on
> >> the GO Consortium meeting agenda.
> >>
> >> Arguments against GO_REF include:
> >>
> >> I don't think the users will read about GO_REF (is that our
> >> problem?)
> >> I don't think the users will even see GO_REF in most tools,
> >> microarray, we are also limited in UniProt ffl to 4 fields of GO
> >> information
> >> Users can filter on GO_REF plus evidence code but are we simply
> >> avoiding extending the number of useful GO evidence codes, for
> >> manual codes I can see that extending the codes might slow down
> >> curation but for more granular IEA codes, they are created
> >> electronically so no extra effort from curator required.
> >> Biology is complex. Although I don't like to see information lost
> >> I think we further complicate what was a simple annotation process
> >> and output.
> >>
> >> Arguments in favour GO_REF include:
> >>
> >> many different techniques not practical (or is it) to create ne
> >> evidence codes, helps to disambiguate annotations
> >>
> >> I am really not wishing to start a new thread here...can we leave
> >> GO_REF and codes to Consortium meeting, I am still collecting
> >> ideas..you could reply to me directly if you wish me to collect
> >> further 'for' and 'aganist' examples for discussion.
> >>
> >> cheers
> >> Evelyn

> > --
> > Alexander Diehl, Ph.D.
> > Scientific Curator
> > Mouse Genome Informatics
> > The Jackson Laboratory
> > 600 Main Street
> > Bar Harbor, ME  04609
> >
> > email:  adiehl at informatics.jax.org
> > work:  +1 (207) 288-6427
> > fax:  +1 (207) 288-6131

Valerie Wood		       Tel: 01223 494954
S. pombe Genome Project	       Fax: 01223 494919
The Sanger Institute           email: val at sanger.ac.uk
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus   http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Projects/S_pombe
Cambridge
CB10 1SA