annotating to pseudogenes

Suzanna Lewis suzi at fruitfly.org
Mon Mar 13 15:48:35 PST 2006

Hmm, this seems to me to raise some questions regarding dual uses for
unknown. It the case of gene products where you simply do not *yet*
known the function they are annotated to 'unknown'. But conversely, if
we look at the definition from the SO, a pseudogene is clearly
something that has *no* function:

"Pseudogene: A sequence that closely resembles a known functional gene,
at another locus within a genome, that is *non-functional* as a
consequence of (usually several) mutations that prevent either its
transcription or translation (or both). In general, pseudogenes result
from either reverse transcription of a transcript of their "normal"
paralog (SO:0000043) (in which case the pseudogene typically lacks
introns and includes a poly(A) tail) or from recombination (SO:0000044)
(in which case the pseudogene is typically a tandem duplication of its
"normal" paralog)."

http://song.sourceforge.net/SO_view/index.html
(caution, may take some time to load)

Annotating pseudogenes to "unknown" implies that they have a function
(but it is not yet known), but pseudogenes have no function by
definition, so there is a contradiction.

-S